Set to open its doors in 2026, Ādisōke, the Ottawa Public Library-Library and Archives Canada Joint Facility will become a landmark destination built on the shared values of the partner institutions. The facility will deliver a rich customer experience through Ottawa Public Library’s Central Library and Library and Archives Canada’s public services, exhibitions and events, which showcase Canada’s culture and heritage. The joint programming and services will make this a truly unique offering in Canada. It will be a modern, iconic facility that will respond to rapidly developing technology, growing customer expectations and changing demographics.
The architectural design is the result of a unique public co-design process that asked residents, Indigenous peoples, and Canadians from coast to coast to provide inspiration. The collaborative engagement process inspired all aspects of the facility, inside and out.
The co-design process offered the opportunity to create a building that is accessible, inclusive, welcoming, and open to all members of our community, helping the partners achieve the goal of being one of the most accessible buildings in the National Capital Region.
Significant enhancements to achieve net-zero carbon are being made to the joint facility. The federal government is investing to make this iconic building net-zero emissions.
The building will have the following spaces:
- Outdoor plaza and amphitheatre
- Space for programs, activities and gathering
- Main entrance and Central gathering space, featuring a café and gift shop
- Multipurpose room
- Exhibition gallery for rare and unique collections, travelling exhibits and community exhibits
- Indigenous wigwam-inspired circular lodge
- Genealogy Centre
- Building services and storage
Ottawa Public Library spaces
- Entrance and self-service kiosks
- Community and Indigenous services
- Children’s Discovery Centre
- Creative Centre
- Teens’ Centre
- Adult fiction and non-fiction
- Living Ottawa: past, present and evolving community history
- Service Coordination Centre
- Corporate services and operations
- OPL Corporate services and operations
Library and Archives Canada spaces
- Entrance and Orientation space
- Treasures gallery
- Reference room
- Reading room
- Lowy collection room
- Preservation lab